Monday, January 25, 2010

E1 checks in...

E1 is up to 38 hats! Oh my goodness... I feel fast at about a hat every other day until I get E1's count.

E1 writes:
I just finished hat #38. How many does that give us now, including the ones sent to you? I had taken a break and finished an unfinished sweater ...I had put ... away for later. The yarn was a fantastic superwash and I wanted to use the remainder to make hats, but lo and behold, I'd calculated the sweater down to the last few yards. Enough left for a stripe, but no hat. Then I got some great wool/microfiber chenille at the Hospice thrift shop. The balls are small, 60 yards (!), but I got 5. I just looked it up on line, and they sell for $18-20 a ball. Sixty yards! It makes a delightful hat.

The total of hats-in-hand is 66 now. My 24 + 3 from Angela + 1 from E3 + E1's 38 = 66.

There are more coming from D in California, but they aren't in my hands or E1's hands so they're not included in the count yet. If they were here, that would make 86.

There are promised hats coming from D (Toastmasters D) and LT (from NMSL).

Maybe we can make it to 310 hats before it gets too hot to knit??? (Is it ever *REALLY* too hot to knit?)

2 comments:

  1. D wants to finish more hats before she sends them; the amount I made sounds paltry compared to those E1 and E2 Knitting machines!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey D, 20 is only 4 fewer than I've made! It's E1 who has Needles Like Lightening. And it's E3 who truly HAS a hat knitting machine! Go watch that YouTube video and laugh aloud about what would happen to old ladies if they tried to hand knit 7.3 billion jumpers per day. Love, E2

    ReplyDelete

Crochet Basic Roll-Brimmed Hat

From 310 Hats


Worsted weight yarn
I hook (5 mm)
Marker


  • Chain 2
  • 6 sc in 2nd chain from hook. Place marker in last stitch.
  • 2 sc in each sc (12). Move marker.
  • (1 sc in first stitch, 2 sc in next stitch), repeat around (18 sc). Move marker.
  • (2 sc in each of first 2 sts, 2 sc in next stitch), repeat around (24 sc). Move marker.
  • (3 sc in ea of first 3 sts, 2 sc in next stitch), repeat around (30 sc). Move marker.
  • Continue in this manner for 13 or 14 rounds (increasing the number of scs before the increase by 1 each round) until your radius is about 3", diameter about 6", and circumference about 18". (78 scs or 84 scs). This should make a nice flat disc, which is the hat top.
  • Work even without increasing. It will start making a bowl shape. Continue even until the depth is about 6". It needs to be long enough and and big enough around to cover a Kindergarten-age child's head and ears.
  • To create a rolled brim, increase the stitches by 50%: (1 sc, 2 sc in next stitch) repeat around.
  • Work a few rounds even.
  • Slip stitch around to give a nice tight, neat edge.
  • Cut yarn. Work in ends.
  • If the hat is too "airy", you can weave colored yarns through the stitch spaces. Colored yarns will be very decorative.

  •