Sunday, January 31, 2010

Think spring

Hat 29 is spring greens. The yarn is LEADER, 100% acrylic.

The cuff was knit extra long and then brought up to make a hem, making the cuff double-thick and cushion-like. Yum.

The hat body itself is a combination of mosaic knitting and carrying-n-trapping. The rows that have both light green and dark green are mosaic knit with slip stitches. The rows that are all dark green are just knit with dark green, no slipping stitches, and carrying-n-trapping the light green behind. I wanted to do it all in mosaic but the two greens didn't have enough contrast and I didn't have any pattern with me. I can't mosaic design in my head, and I didn't want to do something so simple that I ended up with corrugation or no stretch. So, I made blocks of light green in alternating positions, then had non-mosaic rows in between. It makes for an overall effect that makes me think of a forest in spring, wherein every tree's leaves are a slightly different shade of green, a different shape, and a different size. I like it.

I started it Friday night but had only done a few rows of the cuff. On Saturday I had several hours of waiting time. (KIDS!) I was glad I had some knitting with me even though I didn't have any mosaic pattern with me.

I will do another mosaic hat soon.

Presently on my crochet hook is Caron's Peruvian Ear Flap Hat. However, the store at which I had coupons (Joann's) didn't have Caron's Simply Soft Quick (or I couldn't find it). I ended up buying Lion's Hometown USA (which I figured was comparable). However, the piece I have made so far hasn't made gauge, and is already thick as armor. The specified gauge is 12 sc/4", and I only get 10.5-11 sc/4". Therefore, I think I didn't quite pick the right yarn. I cannot imagine working the Hometown any tighter than I am now with an "I" (5.5mm) hook. I guess I'll have to keep seeking the Caron Simply Soft Quick.

I'm also wondering why the pattern calls for a slip-stitch and ch1 at each round's end. What's the point of that? Maybe I'm doing it wrong, but I think it makes a sloppy-looking seam at the back of the hat. What disadvantage is there in simply doing the hat in rounds that spiral up? If any one has any insight for me, please comment.

If I end up liking this pattern, and it gets the "thumbs up" from my test audience, I think I'll do it again in some Webs yarn of comparable gauge. But first I have to figure out precisely what the comparable gauge should be! What's the best way to do yarn interchange when you're standing in a store and don't have the specified yarn in your hand for touch-n-feel comparison? Is it meters/gram or yards/ounce? Any insight there left in comments are gratefully received.

-E2

PS - Here's why I thought Simply Soft Quick was comparable to Hometown USA:

- Both '6' Super Bulky
- SSQ = 3oz/50yds or 85g/46m which is 0.06oz/yd or 16.6yd/oz or 0.54m/g or 1.84g/m
= HU = 5oz/81yds or 140g/74m which is 0.06oz/yd or 16.2yd/oz or 0.52m/g or 1.89g/m

Don't those look comparable????

I'm looking at Web's Berroco Sundae which is listed as 100 grams/ 62 yards ... UGH! What's that called "Mimperial"? "Emptric"?

Or "Aspire" which is listed as (again Emptric/Mimperial) 200g/145 yards.

Or Aspen (again Emptric/Mimperial) 100g/50 yards.

Which would YOU think is comparable to Simply Soft Quick, if you can see or feel none of them?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Crochet Basic Roll-Brimmed Hat

From 310 Hats


Worsted weight yarn
I hook (5 mm)
Marker


  • Chain 2
  • 6 sc in 2nd chain from hook. Place marker in last stitch.
  • 2 sc in each sc (12). Move marker.
  • (1 sc in first stitch, 2 sc in next stitch), repeat around (18 sc). Move marker.
  • (2 sc in each of first 2 sts, 2 sc in next stitch), repeat around (24 sc). Move marker.
  • (3 sc in ea of first 3 sts, 2 sc in next stitch), repeat around (30 sc). Move marker.
  • Continue in this manner for 13 or 14 rounds (increasing the number of scs before the increase by 1 each round) until your radius is about 3", diameter about 6", and circumference about 18". (78 scs or 84 scs). This should make a nice flat disc, which is the hat top.
  • Work even without increasing. It will start making a bowl shape. Continue even until the depth is about 6". It needs to be long enough and and big enough around to cover a Kindergarten-age child's head and ears.
  • To create a rolled brim, increase the stitches by 50%: (1 sc, 2 sc in next stitch) repeat around.
  • Work a few rounds even.
  • Slip stitch around to give a nice tight, neat edge.
  • Cut yarn. Work in ends.
  • If the hat is too "airy", you can weave colored yarns through the stitch spaces. Colored yarns will be very decorative.

  •