Sunday, January 24, 2010

Hat 22 and Netflix downloads

Saturday PM. Wild things need calming. "Put on your PJs and we'll watch a movie together." "What movie?" "Oh, I'm thinking Muppets From Space." "YEAH, YEAH!" The PJs are on young people faster than you can say 'Gonzo is lonely'. So, we three watched Muppets From Space via Netflix download while I started Hat 22 with the ball ends of Wool-Ease Chunky in colors Redwood and W****. (Next time I think I'd like to find some Nantucket or Bluebell or Orchid.)

On the first try I made the hat too small. So I let Littlest unstitch. (Unstitching crochet is far more fun than unstitching knitting. For crochet, you grab the yarn and PULL. Watch the stitches go pop pop pop pop pop. What 7 year old can resist THAT fun?) So, when the Littles went to bed I had another Netflix download I wanted to watch, Through Deaf Eyes. I was surprised, and delighted, to finally see faces of two people with whom I used to have an email correspondence! There were others in the program whom I'd met in passing or seen perform live. But two with whom I've "chatted" without ever meeting -- that moved me! I really enjoyed that program and I'm so glad I watched it.

I stitched until I ran out of yarn but didn't finish a hat. So this morning I had to unstitch and finish the hat with fewer rows than what I had stitched last night while watching the wonderful program.

-E2

No comments:

Post a Comment

Crochet Basic Roll-Brimmed Hat

From 310 Hats


Worsted weight yarn
I hook (5 mm)
Marker


  • Chain 2
  • 6 sc in 2nd chain from hook. Place marker in last stitch.
  • 2 sc in each sc (12). Move marker.
  • (1 sc in first stitch, 2 sc in next stitch), repeat around (18 sc). Move marker.
  • (2 sc in each of first 2 sts, 2 sc in next stitch), repeat around (24 sc). Move marker.
  • (3 sc in ea of first 3 sts, 2 sc in next stitch), repeat around (30 sc). Move marker.
  • Continue in this manner for 13 or 14 rounds (increasing the number of scs before the increase by 1 each round) until your radius is about 3", diameter about 6", and circumference about 18". (78 scs or 84 scs). This should make a nice flat disc, which is the hat top.
  • Work even without increasing. It will start making a bowl shape. Continue even until the depth is about 6". It needs to be long enough and and big enough around to cover a Kindergarten-age child's head and ears.
  • To create a rolled brim, increase the stitches by 50%: (1 sc, 2 sc in next stitch) repeat around.
  • Work a few rounds even.
  • Slip stitch around to give a nice tight, neat edge.
  • Cut yarn. Work in ends.
  • If the hat is too "airy", you can weave colored yarns through the stitch spaces. Colored yarns will be very decorative.

  •