Monday, January 4, 2010

Monday morning updates

My friend D, who's pitching in on the project reports:
I broke out the Knifty Knitter and made 3 hats using 2 strands together.  They weigh almost the same amount as the size 6 needle hats(seriously, a few grams different), but my kids say the double stranded hats are warmer.  ... I have a bulky knitting machine that our local Project Linus folks gave me ... I expect I can make up whatever hat shortage exists with my machine in the summer. ...
Just wanted you to know how things are coming at my house.  I have 1 hat on needles and 1 on the loom right now.

And E1 (the originator of this project) sends word:

I think I'm up to 22 hats now. I haunt the Hospice thrift shop near my office for yarn, and I got some nice Lang washable wool the other day. Also got some great regular wool from Canada, but I may keep that for myself. I'm washing all my hats before I put them away... Then I'm separating them into one box for washing-dryer-ok and one box for air dry.
(At a mere 6 hats I'm starting to feel like a knitting slug.)

I have been using "string tags" on my hats to note what kind of yarn it is and the care instructions. I've had this habit for a long time and it works well for me. Besides, I also use the string tags for taking notes about a project in progress, especially if I'm not using a pattern or would like to duplicate the project (ie mittens, gloves, socks). 

Another friend (whom we'll call E3) is trying to tempt me into a Knit-a-long for a sweater that is gorgeous but would probably burn out my last few neurons (ie IT LOOKS COMPLICATED!). So, in the name of TEMPTATION to join a Knit-a-long, she sends this note:


I have the addi 46 needle Express.  i used it to make hats for many relatives for Christmas.  What I did was knit a double long tube with waste yarn at each end, then picked up the stitches, did a three needle bind off without binding off (like on my socks) and decreased over the next four rows.  Pompom on top, done. ...

If I sent you several feet of tubes, made from cascade 220 superwash, you could try it and time it.  The cranking time is insignificant.

If we can get the rest of the hats done by the end of February, you'd have time to do a KAL.

See what I mean? She's an evil temptress!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Crochet Basic Roll-Brimmed Hat

From 310 Hats


Worsted weight yarn
I hook (5 mm)
Marker


  • Chain 2
  • 6 sc in 2nd chain from hook. Place marker in last stitch.
  • 2 sc in each sc (12). Move marker.
  • (1 sc in first stitch, 2 sc in next stitch), repeat around (18 sc). Move marker.
  • (2 sc in each of first 2 sts, 2 sc in next stitch), repeat around (24 sc). Move marker.
  • (3 sc in ea of first 3 sts, 2 sc in next stitch), repeat around (30 sc). Move marker.
  • Continue in this manner for 13 or 14 rounds (increasing the number of scs before the increase by 1 each round) until your radius is about 3", diameter about 6", and circumference about 18". (78 scs or 84 scs). This should make a nice flat disc, which is the hat top.
  • Work even without increasing. It will start making a bowl shape. Continue even until the depth is about 6". It needs to be long enough and and big enough around to cover a Kindergarten-age child's head and ears.
  • To create a rolled brim, increase the stitches by 50%: (1 sc, 2 sc in next stitch) repeat around.
  • Work a few rounds even.
  • Slip stitch around to give a nice tight, neat edge.
  • Cut yarn. Work in ends.
  • If the hat is too "airy", you can weave colored yarns through the stitch spaces. Colored yarns will be very decorative.

  •